How to Become a Member
Why become a member?Church membership is a commitment to serve, attend, love, and submit to a local church. In the New Testament, those who experienced salvation belonged to a local church. It is also a tool that the elders of Grace Bible Church use to fulfill their God-given responsibility to “shepherd the flock of God” (1 Peter 5:3) among this local Body of Christ. According to Hebrews 13:17, elders will one day give an account for this shepherding. In light of this responsibility, it is extremely important for the elders of GBC to know who are the “sheep” that have submitted themselves and their families to spiritual soul care. Therefore, if you are a committed Christ-follower who regularly attends this local fellowship, the elders would like you to please consider becoming a member.
What are the benefits of membership?
- Service opportunities. Members at GBC are enabled to serve through various leadership positions including deacon, elder, or as a community group leader.
- Theological training. During the membership class, GBC’s doctrinal position (i.e., what we teach from the Word of God) will be explained to equip members to lead in various settings.
- Soul Care. The elders and deacons of GBC are committed to intentionally contacting (through phone calls or personal interaction) all members or member families throughout the year to check-in spiritually, take prayer requests, and be notified of any physical or tangible needs that may exist.
- Directional input. Although GBC is an elder-led church, the input of individual members is extremely valued. At the beginning of each year during the annual congregational meeting, the overall direction and budget of the church is presented at the meeting and there are opportunities to discuss the detail and direction of the budget and board nominations.
- Facility Use. Members are not required to pay for facility use for weddings, memorials or other approved events.
When are membership classes?If you are interested in becoming a member or just finding out more, we run new member classes every year in Spring and Fall, Sunday morning during the second service. Attendance of all four classes is required for church membership. Class topics will include: an explanation of GBC doctrine (i.e. what we believe and teach from the Word of God), membership qualifications and responsibilities, an overview of various church ministries, a summary of the history of GBC, and an explanation of our financial accounts. At some point during the course, you will meet with an elder or deacon to share your testimony of faith in Jesus Christ.
Next Classes: April 2, 9, 16, 23. Welcome Reception April 30 2017
Back to Top